Welcome to Linnette's special place of exploring new worlds through the realm of fiction...

The New Guy Part 5 ~ A Tuesday Tale


Randy Chauvin's smile faded. “I really do want to get to know you, Crystal. If you’ll let me.”

Crystal Robinson's heart flipped and she began to tremble. She stared at him in disbelief for a long moment. Was this guy for real? 

She finally shrugged and turned toward the Ice Cream Parlor door. "Sure." 

She reached for the door just as it swung away. Randy managed to hold it open and still allow her to exit first. Butterflies danced in her chest and she floated along beside him. Surely this was all a dream.

"Thanks for sharing your table with me. Again."

She stopped at her car and turned to lean against it. "You're always welcome at my table, New Guy." She grinned up at him and his answering smile melted more of her reserve.

"New Guy, huh?" He chuckled and shook his head. "So, that's how you've been thinking of me."

"Pretty much." No way would she tell him what she really thought.

He rubbed the side of his head, bewilderment written on his face. "Well. Okay."

She laughed out loud and covered her mouth. "I'm sorry." She cocked a shoulder. "I inherited an ornery streak from my mom. Sometimes I can't help myself."

He reached out and tugged one of her rebellious strands of hair before tucking it behind her ear. "Thanks for the warning."

Her breath caught at the answering glint in his eyes. Maybe he was for real after all.

His phone beeped and he glanced at it with a sigh. "Mom calls. I better run." He took a half step back. "Save me a seat at lunch tomorrow?

She snorted. "As if I'll have to save it. But, yeah. If your seat needs saving, I'll see to it."

He hesitated for a moment, something she couldn't define swirling in his eyes. "Cool. I'll see you then."

"See you then."

He walked away and she let out a shaky breath. Lunch tomorrow. Maybe her mom was right? Maybe it was time to add a few new things to the ole wardrobe. Something besides ragged jeans and t-shirts.

Randy backed out of his parking spot and waved before pulling away. She groaned. Yep. Definitely time for a little shopping.

No comments:

"To You, O LORD, I call; my rock, be not deaf to me, lest, if You be silent to me, I become like those who go down to the pit. Hear the voice of my pleas for mercy, when I cry to You for help, when I lift up my hands toward your most holy sanctuary." Psalm 28:1-2, ESV

"We love because He first loved us." (1 John 4:19, ESV) "Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave Himself up for her..." (Ephesians 5:25, ESV)

The Ragged Edge - A Life Changing Experience!