Welcome to Linnette's special place of exploring new worlds through the realm of fiction...

The New Guy, Part 4 ~ A Tuesday Tale


"How cool is that?" Randy Chauvin’s eyes danced with excitement that sent a zing straight through Crystal Robinson.

How cool, indeed! Who'd have thunk? "Which church service do you guys attend?" she asked.

"It varies with Mom and Dad in the choir. Most of the time we attend first, though."

Unexpected disappointment shifted through her. "Oh."

~ from Bing
 "You go to second?"

"Yep."

"I'll look for you when we're at the second service, then. I mean, if you're okay with that."

Noting the eager trepidation in his eyes, her lungs froze. "Sure." Was he serious? No way was this guy interested in her! Nobody was ever interested in her. Not unless you count the weird creepers who tended to always find her.

He nodded. "Cool."

They sipped on their milkshakes in silence for the next few minutes. Little by little the Ice Cream Parlor emptied until there were only about half a dozen tables occupied. Several guys threw a ‘hey’ or a fist-bump Randy’s way. Plenty of girls cast a flirty smile or a quirk of the brow, but he seemed oblivious to them. Everyone ignored her, of course. But that was nothing new.

“So where are you headed after this?”

She startled at the unexpected question and nearly choked on her milkshake.

“Sorry about that.” He leaned forward and reached across the table as if to help, but stopped short as if he didn't quite know what to do.

She shook her head, trying to tell him it was okay.

He finally grabbed a napkin and wiped the dribble off her chin. “I really am sorry. You don't have to answer that. It’s none of my business.”

When she could speak, she said, “No-no. It's no problem. You just startled me, that's all.”

~ From Bing
He grinned. “What? Not used to anyone talking to you?”

Her eyes grew wide and she slumped in her chair. “Is it so painfully obvious?”

He laughed. “Nah. Don’t worry. It’s not that. It's just... You’re an outsider. It doesn't matter that you went to school here last year.” He shrugged. “It’s nothing personal. It's just the way it is.”

She glanced away played at collecting her mess. He was preaching to the choir on that score, but that didn't make the pain of rejection any easier to take.

“Mind if I walk you to your car?”

She crossed the room with him right behind her, popped her trash in the receptacle, and turned to face him. “You don’t have to play nice, Randy. It's okay. Really. I’m sure you’d rather go catch up to your buddies.”

His smile faded. “Actually, I really do want to get to know you. If you’ll let me.”

She stared at him in disbelief. Was this guy for real?

No comments:

"To You, O LORD, I call; my rock, be not deaf to me, lest, if You be silent to me, I become like those who go down to the pit. Hear the voice of my pleas for mercy, when I cry to You for help, when I lift up my hands toward your most holy sanctuary." Psalm 28:1-2, ESV

"We love because He first loved us." (1 John 4:19, ESV) "Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave Himself up for her..." (Ephesians 5:25, ESV)

The Ragged Edge - A Life Changing Experience!