Welcome to Linnette's special place of exploring new worlds through the realm of fiction...

Beginning the New Year

Two days into the year and I'm already on a roller coaster ride. I'm so ready to dig into "Loving Tiffany" and yet I have so much 'momma' stuff to do. That's life, is it not?

For a little writing warm up, I've edited a flash fiction piece for your enjoyment. It'll have to satisfy you until I have something to report on Tiffany. Enjoy!


"Chocolate Curls" or perhaps "Table for Two"?
You decide...

Ready to shop, Gina Davidson picked up her keys and headed for the door when her phone rang.
“Hello?”
“Hello, Gina. This is Mrs. Humphrey from across the street. Sorry to bother you, but Steven Hillcrest is here patching my roof. I promised to feed him my lasagna as payment, but I feel one of my headaches coming on. Would you be a dear and come finish preparing it?”
Her heart skipped a beat. Steven. Her brother’s best friend. Her former roommate's ex. And ,unknown to him, the love of her life.
She pressed her hand against her stomach hoping to stop the flutters. “Sure. I’ll be right over.” Knowing this was probably another matchmaking attempt, she still couldn’t say no to the grandmotherly widow.
“Oh, thank you, dear! I hated the thought of sending him home hungry.”
“No problem. See you in a few.”
Running to the bathroom, she made sure her curls were in place, added a dab of lip gloss, and touched up what little make-up she wore. At age thirty-two, she still found herself wondering if Steven would ever see her as anything more than Kevin’s baby sister.
~
The last shingle in place, Steven glanced at his watch. Perfect! Just in time for supper. Heavenly smells wafted out the window and tantalized him.
He washed up in the mud room, entered the kitchen and said, “That lasagna sure smells goo--”
Stopping in his tracks, he stared.
“Hi, Steven. Mrs. Humphrey isn’t feeling well. She asked me to come finish preparing your supper. I hope you don’t mind.” Gina glanced at him as she spoke but returned her attention to tossing the salad.
“Um… no… sure… that’s fine.” Steven winced at his own awkwardness. Thankfully, she didn’t seem to notice.
“I hope you’re hungry. She cooked enough noodles to feed half the town, so I made two lasagnas – one for tonight and a smaller one for your freezer.”
He took tentative steps toward her, stopped a few feet away and leaned against the counter in an effort to appear relaxed. He felt anything but. Gone was the frizzy French braid she wore since childhood. In its place was a mass of glorious soft curls sitting on her shoulders, framing her lovely face.
“Your hair…When did you cut it?”
 “Yesterday.”
“Do you like it?”
“I love it. It’s so much easier to manage.”
            “It suits you,” he said thoughtfully. “I’ve never seen such beautiful curls. They remind me of those chocolate curls on top of the fancy desserts at Chambray’s.”
            He watched in wonder as Gina’s cheeks blossomed into a distracting rosy hue.
            “Thank you,” she said just above a whisper, her timid smile stirring his heart.
            Taking advantage of her distraction with the food, he studied her. It seemed like every time he turned around lately Gina was there. And each time his heart reacted to her gentle spirit a little more. Deep down he knew Gina was a till-death-do-us-part kind of gal, but when a man’s wife runs off with another guy he tends to be cautious.
Time to put his mind on a safer topic. “Can I help you with anything?” 
She turned her big brown eyes on him and his brain went a little fuzzy. “The plates are there in the cabinet behind you if you want to get one down and the forks are in the drawer next to the dishwasher,”
            Still mesmerized, he absorbed every detail of her upturned face.
            “Um…Steven.”
            “Yes.”
            “The plates… a-and forks… they’re over there.”
            He didn't move or take his eyes from her. “Will Mrs. Humphrey be eating?”
            “Afraid not. I gave her some medicine and tucked her into bed. She seems to be sleeping peacefully.” She turned and removed the bread from the oven.
            He let a slow grin spread across his face. “Well. I guess it’s dinner for two, then. You are joining me, aren’t you?”
            The pan of bread hit the counter with a thud and she turned to search his eyes. “I didn’t come over to impose on your dinner.”
            “You’re not imposing. Come on. You wouldn’t make a guy eat alone, would you?”
“Well. I-uh…”
“In fact,” he lowered his voice as he took a step closer, “I’m hoping this could... you know. Be our first date.”
            “First date? A-as in a guy taking a girl out kind of date?”
            “Yes.”
            She swallowed hard and her eyes grew wistful, his heart so clenched it ached.
            “Are you sure?”
            He tugged gently on one of her curls and watched it bounce back into place. Returning his gaze to hers, he said, “Positive.”
            Her face lit with a breath-taking smile. “Well, then. Let’s set a table for two.”
~~~
So. Did you enjoy this little bit of flash fiction? And which which title do you prefer? I hope you'll let me know.

~ Linnette R Mullin
All Rights Reserved

*All pics found at Bing images.

No comments:

"To You, O LORD, I call; my rock, be not deaf to me, lest, if You be silent to me, I become like those who go down to the pit. Hear the voice of my pleas for mercy, when I cry to You for help, when I lift up my hands toward your most holy sanctuary." Psalm 28:1-2, ESV

"We love because He first loved us." (1 John 4:19, ESV) "Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave Himself up for her..." (Ephesians 5:25, ESV)

The Ragged Edge - A Life Changing Experience!