Welcome to Linnette's special place of exploring new worlds through the realm of fiction...

Java for a Kiss

            Irritation heightened Jason Matthews’ edginess. “Will the dude ever come in and actually buy something?” One by one, he placed the clean mugs on the shelf. “This is a Java joint, not a freaking library.”
            “You could ask him to leave.” Maggie Storey gave him a pointed look. For someone who worked at his coffee shop less than six months, she got away with spouting off in ways his veteran employees wouldn’t dream of. She’d shocked him with her uninhibited banter that first day. Now, he fought a grin forcing its way onto his normally scowling face.
He liked her spunk.
It didn’t hurt that she was a cute little thing, either - relatively speaking, of course. She would be considered tall and full figured to most, but for a man who had to duck and practically turn sideways to get through doorways, she was tiny.
            “You know I can’t do that. It might make my real customers uncomfortable and leave.”
“As if your scowls and growls alone couldn’t do that,” she said with a teasing lilt.
He huffed. “Tell me something, Miss Maggie. Why do you think the guy is always here, but never buys anything?”
            She continued checking the syrup levels and wiping down the bottles, glancing at the mystery man from time to time. Jason could see the thoughtful concentration on her round, rosy face and wondered for the zillionth time if her skin was as petal soft as it looked.
Remembering her comment about being fat, he let his gaze slide over her silhouette. She was no stick figure, for sure. Still, he didn’t think her overweight. In fact, whatever extra pounds she imagined she carried gave her a soft, appealing look. Visions of cuddling by a blazing fireplace filled his mind. Deciding she wouldn’t appreciate his line of thought, he forced his gaze back to her face and dissolved the images.
            She shrugged. “Maybe he wants to find a quiet place to work without interruption.”
            Interesting. “Why do you think that?”
            “Well, he always brings his laptop. He never has anyone with him. He turns his cell phone off when he arrives and turns it on when he leaves. He has permanent stress creases in his brow and he comes on schedule – same time, every week day, and always in a suit.”
            “Hmm…”
            “You know what else I think?”
            He raised his eyebrows, waiting for her to continue.
            “I think you should offer him a complimentary cup of coffee. Who knows? He might become your most loyal paying customer.”
            Jason scoffed at the idea, and felt the sting of Maggie’s disappointed face. When she went to the back in search of Hazelnut syrup, he huffed and stepped over to the stranger.
“Can I get you a cup of Java? It’s on the house today.”
            The man looked up and Jason watched his face transform in seconds from disgruntled to bewilderment to relief. “That would be great, actually. I don’t mind paying for it. I always intend to buy a cup when I come, but I’m so swamped my time here flies and before I know it I’m leaving without.
            “What’s your pleasure today?”
            “I’ll take a French Vanilla Cappuccino, please. Here’s my card.”
            He prepared and delivered the whipped cream topped mug and handed back the card. “Like I said, it’s on the house today.”
            The man looked at him in surprise and thanked him. “You just won yourself a loyal customer.”
            The sappy smile on Maggie’s face tripped his heart and more than paid for the guy’s free java. Especially when she tapped his chest, looked up at him with glowing eyes and said, “I knew there was a heart of gold hidden under all that gruffness.”
Yes, sir! He wanted to drag her into the back room and taste those sweet, rosy lips. Instead, he took her hand and gave a gentle squeeze before he winked and turned to an approaching customer.
            When Maggie’s shift ended, Jason followed her to the back door to thank her. It wasn’t until the door closed behind her and he tingled with awareness that he realized she had stood on tiptoe, pulled his face to hers and given him a sweet, if brief, “you’re welcome” kiss.
            A smile split his face as he walked back out to the counter. Cameron, the next shift employee, looked at him with wariness, but Jason winked and grinned bigger. Visions of Maggie filled his head as he plotted ways to earn more of her sweet kisses.

~ written by Linnette R Mullin

No comments:

"To You, O LORD, I call; my rock, be not deaf to me, lest, if You be silent to me, I become like those who go down to the pit. Hear the voice of my pleas for mercy, when I cry to You for help, when I lift up my hands toward your most holy sanctuary." Psalm 28:1-2, ESV

"We love because He first loved us." (1 John 4:19, ESV) "Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave Himself up for her..." (Ephesians 5:25, ESV)

The Ragged Edge - A Life Changing Experience!