Welcome to Linnette's special place of exploring new worlds through the realm of fiction...

It's About Time

Borrowed from Pinterest ~ Photographer unknown

            Lori Coulter shuffled in her bunny-slippered feet. Lord, you know my heart. I’m not exactly the patient type, but… well, I am almost thirty. I want a husband. A family. She shook off the memories of last night’s date.
            Sighing, she took the coffee pot to the sink, rinsed it out and filled it. She shut the faucet off and gasped. She stumbled back as a wet sensation startled her and skid a couple feet across the floor. “That pipe! Why can’t Brandon just replace the thing?”
            She thumped the pot on the counter and snagged her phone. Brandon Scaggs. Her best friend since preschool and the only man who could make her heart dance. Too bad she didn’t seem to have that affect on him. She sighed and hit speed-dial.
            “Morning, Sunshine! How was your date?”
            Her heart pinched. “I didn’t call at 8:30 on a Saturday morning to discuss my abysmal date. I need the apartment handy-man.”
            “Your bunny slippers get soaked again?”
            “Apparently your last patch-up didn’t work. Please, Brandon. Just fix it.”
            “No problem. I’ll be right there.”
            Sighing, she dropped the phone on the counter, grabbed a towel and mopped up the puddle. She pulled off her slippers and tossed them into the laundry on the way to her bedroom.
The doorbell rang. She groaned. I’m such a mess. Combing her fingers through her hair, she cinched her robe and retraced her steps to open the door.
            Brandon with his muscular arms and broad chest would make any girl’s heart flutter. His freshly shaven face and black curls still wet from showering made hers beat in double-time.
            He quirked an eyebrow. “Did I come for a staring contest or to fix the pipe?”
            “Um. No. Yes. Come in.”
            She followed him to the kitchen. He set his toolbox down and went to work.
            “I’ll just, uh… go shower, now.”
The mall. That’s what she needed. Since the mall was God’s therapy for women, shopping she would go.
Shower completed, she slipped on a yellow sundress and matching strappy sandals. She glanced in the mirror and twirled back and forth, enjoying the way the dress swished around her legs. She forgot for a moment that Brandon was there until she stepped into the kitchen and heard his low whistle.
“Wow!” His perusal ignited a blush. “So, who’s the lucky guy today?”
“The mall.”
His brows raised a notch. “That bad a night, huh?”
“Don’t even go there.”
He dried his clean hands on a towel as he took slow intentional steps, stopping just inches from her. His gaze searched her face. “Are you ok?”
“Not really.”
He tossed the towel on the counter and then reached out, squeezing her shoulders. A shiver ran through her.
“You know I’m always here for you, right?”
“Are you?” If only he would pull her into his arms and tell her the words she longed to hear him say.
His brows furrowed. “Of course. That’s what friends are for.”
She nibbled her lip and studied him for a long moment. Should tell him. What could it hurt? He’d find out anyway. She took a deep breath.
“Well, it’s good to know, because…” She glanced away for a moment and summoned courage before looking him in the eye. “I’m through with dating.”
A slow grin spread across his face. The one that always made her heart pitter-patter.
She frowned. “What are you smiling about?”
“I’ve been hoping and praying you’d stop seeing other guys.”
“You what? Why? Wait! What do you mean, other guys?”
He massaged her shoulders with a gentle touch and stiffened her legs to keep them from buckling.
“I hate seeing your heart get trampled on over and over again.” He dropped his hands to her waist, wrapped his arms around her, and he pulled her close. His voice grew low and raspy sending delicious chills down her spine. His eyes roved her face. “I don’t know when it happened, but… I care about you, Lori. Deeply.” He hiked his brow. “And not just in a friendly sort of way.”
The intensity in his gaze sent her senses into a free fall. “Really?”
“Do you think… would you be willing to date just one more guy?”
A smile tugged at her lips as she rested her hands on his chest. “Maybe.” She tilted her head to the side and gave him a coy smile. “Depends on who the guy is and whether or not he really cares about me.”
Before she could blink, he lowered his head and captured her lips in a tender kiss. “I love you, Lori.”
When she didn’t answer, his smiled slipped and his brows furrow. “I know I’m a little slow, Sweetheart, but I really do love you. I’ve been praying about us for the last several months and… well, I really think we belong together.”
“You’ve been praying? About us?”
“Yep.”
Tears swam in her eyes. She slid her hands behind his neck and smiled. “You are a little slow, Brandon. I’ve been praying about us for years.” She registered shock on his face just before she kissed him with all the stored up longing of her heart. She finally pulled away. “I love you, too.”
He tightened his embrace and trailed butterfly kisses along her cheek to her nape. “Good. I take it you’re not opposed to dating me, then?”
“Would you believe me if I said yes?”
He chuckled. “After the way you just kissed me? I don’t think so.”
She sighed as he kissed her again. Thank you, Lord! It’s about time.

No comments:

"To You, O LORD, I call; my rock, be not deaf to me, lest, if You be silent to me, I become like those who go down to the pit. Hear the voice of my pleas for mercy, when I cry to You for help, when I lift up my hands toward your most holy sanctuary." Psalm 28:1-2, ESV

"We love because He first loved us." (1 John 4:19, ESV) "Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave Himself up for her..." (Ephesians 5:25, ESV)

The Ragged Edge - A Life Changing Experience!